Following our release of the new COMLEX L1 product on Firecracker, the Firecracker content and engineering team has released COMLEX L2. If you're an existing Firecracker DO user you'll find it under your content drop down on Study Something Specific:
Dedicated Test Prep mode is the Q-bank based mode that Firecracker recommends for students who are 30 to 90 days away from one of their big board exams. Today David Guertin lead a webinar demonstration and Q&A for Dedicated Test Prep mode:
As promised, our team of editors has continued work to produce more clerkship modules for Firecracker members. We now offer seven clerkship modules: Internal Medicine, Emergency Medicine, Ob/Gyn, Surgery, Psychiatry, Pediatrics and Family Medicine. You can sign up for one at a time - or get all of them with Firecracker MD and Firecracker DO.
Winter break is upon us, and students are asking us how to maximize productivity while balancing leisure time with friends and family. This time of year tends to be one of the most popular times for medical students to diligently dive into Firecracker. Whether you can hardly believe you made it through your first semester of medical school, or you're seeing that board exam date looming on the horizon, there's no better New Year's resolution than a regular review routine:
Firecracker has embarked on a new project: creating new modules for all the major Clerkships. Last month we released the Family Medicine Clerkship, and today we’re excited to launch Pediatrics and Psychiatry Clerkships. In addition to getting these as part of any Step 2 CK Firecracker membership, you can also buy them separately for only $40 for a month of access. You can access these new modules from Study Something Specific by choosing them directly from the dropdown at the top of the page.
We know that about 65% of Firecracker users will take the NBME Shelf exam for Family Medicine. This Shelf exam is unique in its scope: it covers all organ systems, all age ranges, and every common pathology. That represents a lot of material to absorb and retain while you’re running around the wards, caring for patients, and trying to get through your third year of medical school.
For years, Firecracker has proven extremely effective as a resource for preclinical classes and USMLE Step 1 preparation. Thousands of third-year medical students are now also using Firecracker alongside their clinical rotations, and to prepare for major exams including USMLE Step 2 CK, Shelfs, COMLEX Level 2, and COMATs. Suat, a fourth-year medical student who picked up Firecracker as a primary resource during clerkships, graciously shares some wise words of experience here:
We recently launchedFirecracker High Yield for Step 1 and COMLEX Level 1, new additions to both Firecracker MD and DO that allow students to focus on a smaller subsection of the most important content. Since then, we’ve been a bit overwhelmed by the number of requests for a similar High Yield option for Step 2, so we decided to put a rush on it, and today we’re excited to announce the release of High Yield Step 2.
Firecracker members have consistently crushed their boards since day one, and in recent years we have made huge strides in developing world-class content for clinical rotations, USMLE Step 2, and Shelf exams. You can use the same Firecracker account to conveniently transition into your clinical year studies after completing Step 1, and here's how:
1. Go to your Account and Settings page via the navigation panel on the left side of Firecracker's webpage. Scroll down to the "Path to Success" section, and select the new Test you are preparing for from the dropdown menu. Adjust your Goal score and Exam date as needed, and make sure you click the "Save Study Plan Changes" button:
2. Firecracker will automatically adjust your Today's To-Do's recommendations according to whichever Test you are preparing for. When browsing content on the Study Something Specific page, you'll find that Step 2 materials are now the default there as well. You can still easily access our pre-clinical content for review.
3. On the Take an Exam page, you'll find timed practice exams in our board-style exam interface to help you prepare for your Shelf Exams and USMLE Step 2:
4. Firecracker's authors and editors wrote up this guide on how to make the most of our platform during your clinical rotations, and I recorded this in-depth video demonstration for clinical year success strategies.
5. In the last 30-90 days before your Step 2 test date, activate Dedicated Test Prep Mode in Firecracker. We released this upgrade only two months ago, and about 500 medical students are currently using our Dedicated Test Prep Mode for USMLE Step 2.
I hope you found this guide helpful for transitioning to your clinical years with Firecracker, and as always, please don't be shy to ask us any questions you have. All the best,
David J. Guertin